I believe that no matter your writing goal — to finish a book, to get published, to self-publish, to become a blogger — you can absolutely make it happen. As the author of more than 18 published books, I know what it takes to go through the pitching and publishing process, deal with writer’s block, and keep projects moving forward. I’m also all-too-familiar with the ups and downs of the creative process…of not knowing when or if the words will come, and then looking back in wonder at the finished piece after experiencing an unexpected sense of flow or inspiration.
As a writing coach, I blend my expertise in writing and publishing with my training as a life coach to provide practical writing strategies combined with guidance and thoughtful insight, so writers can discover and connect with their most powerful, efficient, fulfilled, and creative selves.
So whether you have a manuscript you want to wrap up once and for all, need help finding your writing voice, or want to take your writing to the next level, I’d love to help you work towards your writing goals.
I am excited to offer the following new coaching programs for writers:
• Writing Project Strategy Session
• Writing Review & Critique
• Book Proposal Critique
• Your Personal Book Partner
• Writing Alliance “Club”
See below for details!
WRITING PROJECT STRATEGY SESSION
Whether you’re at the beginning stages of a big writing project, or you’re nearing the end of one phase and are looking to come up with a plan for next steps, my Writing Project Strategy Sessions are aimed at answering your questions (about all things writing, publishing, and querying), problem-solving around challenges, strategizing next steps for your project, and creating concrete plans for action and accountability.
Writing Project Strategy Sessions are 100 percent customizable, and are designed to help you get clear, confident, and moving forward.
Included in your Writing Project Strategy Session is:
- One 60-minute phone or Skype session with yours truly
- Review of up to 25 pages of content either before or after the Strategy Session, including detailed, written feedback on whatever it is you’re looking to gain insight on
- Unlimited email support for two weeks following our session
WRITING REVIEW & CRITIQUE
Do you ever wonder if you’re achieving what you set out to do with your writing project? Whether you’re writing a children’s book, a novel, a memoir, an essay, or a nonfiction book, sometimes it’s helpful to get the perspective of a publishing professional before you share your writing with the world.
When you sign up for a Writing Review & Critique, you’ll get objective insight on your project, either general comments on the project and writing as a whole or feedback focused specifically on the very questions you want answered (ie: Is my project any good? Is it meeting my objectives? Is it marketable? Does the structure work?)
Writing Reviews & Critiques include the following:
- Pre-submission questionnaire to ensure you get the type of feedback and support you need
- Review of up to 25 pages of content, including detailed written feedback on whatever it is you’re looking to gain insight on
- One 30-minute phone or Skype follow-up session to discuss my notes
BOOK PROPOSAL STRATEGY, PREP & POLISH
If your goal is to traditionally publish your nonfiction book, you will need a kick-ass, irresistible book proposal to pitch to agents and ultimately sell your book to a publisher. I’ve written and sold more than six book proposals to major publishers, including Simon & Schuster, Penguin Putnam, and HCI Books, and know what makes proposals stand out in a very competitive marketplace.
When you sign up for a Book Proposal Strategy, Prep & Polish, you’ll email me a completed draft of your proposal, and within two weeks you’ll receive:
- Detailed written feedback on every section of your proposal — overview, promotional plan, competitive review, markets for the book, about the author, outline, and sample chapter — including specific editorial and content suggestions for improving the whole pitch package
- Sample proposal elements to guide you in your revisions
- One 60-minute phone or Skype follow-up session to discuss my notes and strategize next steps so you have a plan of action to move forward
- Sample query letter and complimentary content edit of your pitch to agents and/or publishers
- Email support for one-month following completion of Critique to answer quick questions and review small edits
Bonus: You’ll also receive an exclusive audio interview with Jennifer Repo, former editor at Riverhead Books and Perigee Books, who gives us an inside look at the acquisition process and working with literary agents.
YOUR PERSONAL BOOK PARTNER
Do you have a book (or several books) you want to write but know your best shot at realizing your dream of publishing it is teaming up with a publishing pro who can provide you with personalized support, insight, and accountability? If so, that’s where I come in.
Committing to write and publish a book can be an incredibly exciting, but also daunting, goal. No matter how seasoned a writer you are, it’s not uncommon to feel overwhelm and doubt throughout the entire process of penning a book.
As your Personal Book Partner, I’ll be by your side (virtually) through every step of your book journey, giving you the support you need to stay focused, on track, and motivated to bring your book to life!
I created Your Personal Book Partner because my writing clients tell me they crave the consistency of a partner who knows their project intimately, who they trust to share shitty drafts with without fear of judgment, who knows the ins and outs of the publishing industry, who will hold them to task on goals and schedules, and who is available to quickly respond to emails concerning everything from random questions to irrational fears. Think of me as your personal cheerleader, your book doula, and your gentle critique partner, all rolled into one.
Here’s what you get when you team up with me as your Personal Book Partner:
- Two 60-minute coaching sessions per month via phone or Skype
- Unlimited email support to answer burning questions, address challenges, get quick feedback on short bits, and problem solve in between sessions
- A private book project Trello board for the two of us to stay connected about schedules, goals, resources, and accountability check-ins (Trello is an online project management system — visit www.trello.com to check it out)
- Developmental and content review and editing for up to 20 pages of your manuscript or proposal per month
- Access to collateral from my classes: Write Your Irresistible Book Proposal and The Book in You, including recordings and exercises
- Sample book proposals
- Sample query letters
- Discounted rates on copyediting and proofreading (25% off)
- Bonus audio recordings from 4 publishing & branding pros: Bestselling author and lifestyle expert for women Samantha Ettus on developing a powerful, multimedia platform; author and web strategist Tim Grahl on the importance of marketing and building an audience for authors; branding guru Liz Dennery Sanders on how authors can build their personal brands; and seasoned editor and former agent Jennifer Repo with an inside look at the publishing acquisitions process and working with literary agents.
I know that every writer has unique projects, perspectives, writing habits, procrastination techniques, goals, and challenges. That’s where the “Personal” in Personal Book Partner comes in. My goal is to meet you where you are and help get you across the finish line to reach your writing goals. Towards that end, the kinds of things we might cover during our alliance includes (but is not limited to):
- Getting clarity on your book idea
- Problem solving around book content, structure, and organization of ideas
- Finding time to write in an already busy life
- Setting achievable goals, targets, and schedules
- Facing doubt and fears related to writing
- Adapting proven writing strategies to your specific habits and styles
- Brainstorming all aspects of your idea, your book, your brand, and your plan
- Crafting a powerful, sellable book proposal
- Cheering you along the way for all your progress and successes, big and small
Working with me as a Personal Book Partner is a good fit for writers who:
- Have one or more book ideas they feel passionate and excited about bringing to life in the form of a book
- Are committed to the process of writing a book
- Thrive with external support, insight, and accountability
- Are ready to push themselves as writers and go the distance from start to finish
As your Personal Book Project Partner, I’m in this to help you make your book happen. I can’t imagine a more rewarding outcome.
3-Month Partnership: Investment = $797 / month ($2297 if paid in one sum)
6-Month Partnership: Investment = $697 / month (or $3997 if paid in one sum)
12-Month Partnership: Investment = $597 / month (or $6997 if paid in one sum)
Payments are set up via recurring payments on PayPal and are automatically billed.
Interested? EMAIL ME TO GET STARTED
A LA CART WRITING SUPPORT
Developmental Editing: $100 / hour (5 pages per hour at 250 words per page)
Copyediting: $75 / hour (8 pages per hour at 250 words per page)
Proofreading: $50 / hour (12 pages per hour at 250 words per page)
Query Letter Review & Feedback: $100
EMAIL ME about your project to receive a quote. Thank you!
THE WRITING ALLIANCE: A VIRTUAL WRITING COMMUNITY DESIGNED TO SUPPORT YOUR WRITING GOALS
The Writing Alliance is a monthly “club” designed to give you the support, inspiration, and accountability you need as you work towards your writing goals. You’ll receive daily (yes…every single day) inspiration in your inbox, accountability check-ins on your specific writing goals, and monthly group coaching to brainstorm, answer questions, strategize, and create a full-proof plan for your writing success. Find our more here.
“Debbie saved me when I felt as a writer on the verge of getting published – I was at the end of my rope. She was my book whisperer and my push to keep going and follow my dream.”
“Oh my lord, woman! Just went over your notes—you are a goddess. I mean, I knew it already and this is just a mountain more evidence to the truth. Thank you! P.S…Debbie Reber is an amazing writing coach/structure savant/reader!!”
“Most writers dread the book proposal process, but the fact remains: a proposal should shine like a precious gem. Debbie understands this. She knows that a writer must play the role of diamond cutter when crafting a proposal that will dazzle agents and editors. Debbie helped steer me through this process for my first book, and I couldn’t have asked for a savvier guide.”
“Debbie is a book proposal expert and publishing world guru. And she’s not just a great writer, but a great teacher – clear, engaging, knowledgeable, inspiring.”
“Debbie always has a way of bringing me back to calm when I’m feeling crazy about my writing, and in no time flat. I’m always amazed at her clarity and direction. She makes it feel easy, do-able, and best of all, exciting and fun. Debbie will always be my go-to-gal for any of my writing projects.”
Jen Trulson, blogger & life coach
“Turning my first manuscript over for review was like handing Debbie a chunk of my heart. In this scary and exciting process, she proved to be the perfect handler—tender yet firm and knowledgable. As the primary editor on my first book, she provided crystal clear communication, great insight, and professional suggestions for enhancing my message. She knows how to say “cut this” or “add that” in a lovely collaborative way that inspires you to keep writing. She is an awesome book partner!”
Kayce Hughlett, author of As I Lay Pondering: Daily Invitations to Live a Transformed Life & life coach
“Debbie is gifted with the capacity to hone in on just what I need to hear to keep up my momentum as a writer. Whether it’s insight, the perfect question, practical advice, or challenging blocks she is generous and down to earth as she offers her wealth of knowledge and skill as a coach to support my success, confidence and authentic self.”
Bonni Goldberg, author of Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer’s Life
“As a writing coach, Debbie offers laser focus for my work, asks great questions, and has the uncanny ability to be supportive in a substantive way.”
Elline Lipkin, scholar, poet, and nonfiction writer
“Debbie’s sense of humor, humility, and approach to the work/life balance was a great match for me as a writer, teacher, mom, and human being. She’s a fantastic resource for writing and a good (virtual!) friend who has your back and can keep you humming along to get the book in you out of you and into the hands of your readers!”
Lisa Dewey Wells, author and blogger
“I so appreciate you, Debbie, and have felt very safe with you…safe enough to let you peek at my writing process which can feel a little “cray cray” at times — and for me, that’s one of the highest compliments I could pay you or anyone. So thank you for your expertise, coaching and support Debbie! I am truly so grateful.”
Theresa Waller, blogger & life coach
“Debbie’s practices of goal-seeking and checking in not only help me pick what to work on and to sustain focus, but also show me what I have done.”
Pamela Hobart Carter, playwright, author & poet