As the author of more than a dozen published books, I know what it takes to go through the pitching and publishing process, deal with writer’s block, and keep projects moving forward. I am all-too-familiar with the ups and downs of the creative process…of not knowing when or if the words will come, and then looking back in wonder at the finished piece after experiencing an unexpected sense of flow or inspiration.
I believe everyone has a story to tell. I believe that no matter your writing goal — to finish a book, to get published, to self-publish, to become a blogger — you can absolutely make it happen. So whether you have a manuscript you want to wrap up once and for all, need help finding your writing voice, or want to take your writing to the next level, I’d love to help you work towards your writing goals.
I offer both individual consulting, coaching, and mentoring, as well as classes aimed at helping you reach your writing goals. See below for details:
A virtual writing community set up to support YOUR writing goals:
The Writing Alliance is a monthly “club” designed to give you the support, inspiration, and accountability you need as you work towards your writing goals. You’ll receive daily (yes…every single day) inspiration in your inbox, weekly personalized accountability check ins on your specific writing goals, and monthly 1-on-1′s with me to brainstorm, strategize, and create a full-proof plan for your writing success.
There are currently a few openings in The Writing Alliance — find out more here.
Single Writing Consultation
Just for writers, this 45-minute one-on-one session is part coaching/part mentoring around your specific writing goals. Come with your questions, problems, writing blocks, big messy manuscripts, and whatever else you’ve got and we’ll come up with a plan to help you move forward with what’s next for you and your written words. Includes one 15-minute phone follow-up a week after the original session to make sure you staying on track.
Coaching & Mentoring for Writers
As your writing coach/mentor, I provide you with the editorial know-how, guidance, and support as you work towards your specific writing goals. The types of things I coach writers on include:
- Creating a plan and schedule for reaching a writing goal
- Dealing with writer’s block and procrastination
- Book proposal writing
- How to query agents
- Marketing and promoting your book
- Building your author platform
If you have specific writing and editorial needs for your book, proposal, blog…whatever, I’d love to support you in getting your project where you want it. Here are the types of services I offer:
- Content Editing: Ensure sure your draft or work-in-progress reflects your overall goals and intentions for the project, and provide detailed feedback on overall structure, gaps in logic, clarity of concepts, areas for reworking, overall thoughts regarding language, tone, and writing style.
- Copyediting: Go through your your solid draft or completed manuscript and make suggestions and edits to improve its flow, style, structure, and formatting, with a focus on grammer, punctuation, consistency, eliminating redundancy, tightening and rearranging.
- Proofreading: Ensure your writing project is in great shape before you ship it off to the printer, upload it to your e-book distributor, or promote your PDF link. Specifically, my focus is on proofing your document for typos, punctuation, and grammatical errors, proper noun check, light fact checking, and ensuring integrity of layout and formatting.
*For Editorial Consulting services, I charge by the hour or by the project, depending on the scope of the work. Please email me about your project for more information.*
Book Proposal Critique*
I offer book proposal critiques specifically for writers with a completed draft of a book proposal they plan to send to agents and/or publishers in the hopes of securing a publishing deal. You’ll get detailed feedback on every section of your proposal — overview, promotional plan, competitive review, markets for the book, about the author, outline, and sample chapters — along with a 45-minute phone or Skype session to discuss the notes and talk about next steps.
Free Monthly Call for Writers!
As a published author, I’m frequently approached by writers looking for strategies to take an idea from concept to completion, tips for making the creative space for writing in a very busy life, the ins and outs of getting published, and just about any other question you could imagine. I’m brewing up some really cool offerings for writers, but in the meantime, I’ve decided to start hosting a free monthly call for anyone with questions about the craft or business of writing and getting published.
Write Your Irresistible Book Proposal is a unique, small-group telecourse—part lecture and Q&A, part one-on-one coaching and feedback, part accountability and community support— that guides you through the process of writing a nonfiction book proposal.
At the end of the 12-week course, writers have a polished proposal they can confidently pitch to agents and publishers. 10 spots available. *This class will be offered again in May 2013! Email me to be notified when enrollment for the next session opens!* (Visit detailed course page here.)
To watch my video blogs where I talk about the world of publishing and writing, click here!
4-Week Live Teleclass:
THE BOOK IN YOU: CLARITY is a 4-week teleclass that helps you get clear on your big book idea: what it is, who will read it, and why you should write it. By the end of this class, you will:
- Be clear and confident about what you want to write and why you want to write it
- Have clarity around your specific concept, your “hook,” and your unique author POV
- Understand where your idea fits in to the current marketplace
- Know who the audience for your book is
- Feel empowered to take the next steps to make your book happen
Click here to read more. Enrollment is now closed. This class will be offered again in July 2013.